Exploration & Space Communications Projects Division/Code 450
Building 12 Suite C200
8800 Greenbelt Road
Greenbelt, Maryland 20771
An ever-increasing demand for higher data rates and lower error rates has driven the evolution of space communication. Whatever information astronauts and instruments record, the information is of no value if it cannot be returned to earth.
Providing transparent communication services requires multiple network entities working as a team both at Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) and across all NASA centers. ESC's Space Communications activities include (link these to the according pages):
- Networks Integration Management Office (NIMO) - The gateway for Flight Projects to interact with ESC's communication networks
- Space Network Project (SN) - Providing low-earth-orbiting communication services through geostationary communication satellites
- Tracking and Data Relay Satellite (TDRS) Project - Developing the next generation of Space Network communication satellites
- Space Network Ground Segment Sustainment (SGSS) Project - Developing the next generation ground system to support the Space Network
- Near Earth Network Project (NEN) - Providing ground based antenna services to support near-Earth missions as well as managing a laser ranging network to support high accuracy spacecraft orbit determination and geodesy science
ESC enables advance communications for mission success.